After care


in Care

Unaccompanied Young People Seeking Asylum (UASC)

If you are a young person seeking asylum, we will help you get the support and advice you need!

We would like to welcome all our UASC young people who come to Wolverhampton and will support you to feel safe and secure. We understand that during your journey to the UK you may have faced many challenges and experienced trauma. We are here to make sure that we can provide all the support we can to help you settle into a new environment.

If you are an asylum seeker who is under eighteen, have nowhere to live in the UK and no parents to look after you, and have been placed into the care of Wolverhampton City Council Children’s Services we will look after you and help you to get the support and advice you need.

You will be allocated a Social Worker and Young Persons Advisor who will work with you to find out about your wishes and feelings. They will provide support and help you to access the services you need such as immigration advice, housing, health, accommodation, and education.

Being in Care or Care Leaver - View a translation of important words and what they mean

Immigration (asylum) Process

We will help you to understand the immigration process and provide the necessary support to apply for asylum. We will be with you all through the process and help you to find the necessary legal assistance to progress your asylum claim.

If required we will make sure we have an interpreter at important meetings to make sure you understand what is being said and can translate your words to the people who need to understand what you are saying.

If you require an age assessment, we will help you to understand the process and ensure that you have access to independent representation.

View a translation of important words and what they mean

Immigration and Asylum - View a translation of important words and what they mean

Support We Can Offer

If you struggle to communicate in English and you want to improve your skills our Employment, Education & Training (EET) Advisor can support you to identify the best options for education. We have links with City of Wolverhampton College as well as other providers in the surrounding area who offer English for Speakers of Other Languages (or ESOL for short) courses.

Your Social Worker or Young Persons Advisor will contact the British Red Cross to trace your family, if you have no contact with them. They will help you to get involved in activities or projects for unaccompanied asylum-seeking young people so you can meet new people and make new friends.

UASC Champion

We have a designated UASC Champion who specialises in supporting and ensuring the wellbeing of unaccompanied young people seeking asylum. He is available to offer, information, advice, and guidance. Furthermore, if needed he can signpost you to a range of support services.

UASC Ambassadors

We have UASC Ambassadors who are young people who have also come to the UK seeking asylum. They understand the difficulties faced by asylum-seeking young people and want to provide support by being available for a chat, running activities to celebrate religious and cultural events, and organising youth club or planning trips.

Useful Contacts

  • The Refugee & Migrant Centre, Black Country & Birmingham
    • Provides casework, advice and guidance on immigration, housing/homelessness/, welfare, education and health. Also provide English classes and support with citizenship and employment.
    • 1st Floor Roma Parva, 9 Waterloo Road, Wolverhampton, WV1 4NB
    • Visit Website

  • British Red Cross
    • Advice and support for family tracing and reunion
    • Visit Website

  • Refugee Council - Children & Young People
    • Provide asylum and welfare support, help trafficked children and those whose age has been dispute
    • Visit Website

  • Refugee Council - My View Children's Therapy
    • My View children’s therapy service provides a safe, confidential place for young people to get well-being support.
    • Visit Website

  • CORAM Children’s Legal Centre
  • CORAM Children’s Legal Centre - The Migrant Children’s Project
    • The Migrant Children’s Project provides one-to-one legal advice on issues affecting children subject to immigration control
    • Visit Website

  • Refugee Action
    • Help and advice for refugees and asylum seekers on issues, including the asylum process and how to access support
    • Visit Website